Sunday 14 July 2013

Crochet Baby Dress

Don't we all love babies?  They look so cute and smell so sweet (most of the time!!)  Recently friends of ours have become proud grandparents, when their daughter gave birth to a gorgeous little girl.
 I'll call her baby E :)

Well I needed no more encouragement than this to get the crochet hook out!! To be honest I've been thinking about it ever since we found out she was pregnant but as I didn't know whether it would be a boy or girl I left it until she was born.

My friend wanted to make something for her grandbaby but had never crocheted before.  So I set to, teaching her the basics!  We made simple crochet circles and turned them into teddy bear bunting to hang in the nursery.  Here is a picture of one I have made in the past ...


....but unfortunately I forgot to get one of the finished article my friend made (doh!).

As soon as we had the news that baby E had been born I hunted around for baby dresses to crochet. I found this one called Camille by Teresa Richardson.


There are lots of instructions for beginners and even a video.  The most difficult part was deciding on what size to make.  I knew how much baby E weighed but not having very much experience of babies for a long time, I had no idea whether what I was creating was anywhere near right!  I didn't want to ask (which I know would have been the sensible thing to do!) because I wanted it to be a surprise!  Anyway I took the first one out as it looked way too small and decided if the next one was too big, at least she could grow into it!

Here is my finished dress



These four pictures show you the features in a little more detail.

To finish off, I made a tag to attach to the present out of a recycled card and crocheted all around it in the same yarn as I used for the baby dress.





Here it is all wrapped up and ready to go, just in time as I was popping down to see baby E and mum that afternoon!

Over to Handmade Monday now to see how creative the sunny weather has made you all!
See you there
x

33 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous little dress and the tag is a great idea. Love the teddy bear bunting what a lovely addition to the nursery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do like the teddy bunting, it's rather cute and can be made for either a boy or a girl :)

      Delete
  2. Your teddy bunting is wonderful. And what a great idea for a gift tag. I'm sure the dress will be gratefully received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, such a large amount of cuteness in one blog post! I adore the teddy bunting (what child would not love that?), and the dress is just so sweet. The tag finishes the whole thing off superbly. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tag was a last minute thing but I think I may use it again as I was very pleased with the result.

      Delete
  4. So cute! I absolutely cannot wait for my friends to start having babies as the crochet baby patterns are so cute. I totally love the bear bunting x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The teddy bunting is perfect for making in advance as you can still achieve the cuteness even when you are not sure of the correct colour :D

      Delete
  5. The dress is simply gorgeous. What a great idea to make a matching tag. As for the teddy bear bunting - too cute for words.... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My biggest fear is the dress wont fit!!! Hopefully baby E can always grow into it!

      Delete
  6. Love the teddy bear bunting - what a fantastic idea. The dress is the cutest thing I've seen for ages - I'm sure baby E and her mum will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum loved it! I'm sure baby E will love herself in the photos one day :)

      Delete
  7. I really love the idea of the bunting. So cute. I am sure that it is a lovely surprise and one of the best that you can hope for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be perfect if the summer weather continues :)

      Delete
  8. This is the cutest baby dress ever! I love the way you added the shell trim on the edges. And, what a great idea to do a matching card. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you the edging just seemed to finish it off nicely :)

      Delete
  9. aww how cute is that dress! and so perfect too, as i'm sure is its tiny new owner :) i love the idea of the teddy bunting, it will be an adorable addition to the nursery :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes! Baby E is one of the most perfect babies I've seen :) But aren't they all?

      Delete
  10. Aaah, the dress is so pretty and I love the tag - such a great idea. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute, the dress is oh so pretty, it works well with the 2 colours and the edging around the arm openings finishes it off lovely. I love the bunting too, so cute.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was pleased with how the two colours looked :)

      Delete
  12. Wow - the teddy bear bunting is great - what a fabulous idea! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both the bunting and the dress are cute. And what a clever idea for a card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The card was definitely last minute, although I loved the way it turned out :)

      Delete
  14. Such a beautiful dress. I like that you chose to make it 2 different colours. The crocheted tag is a very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephen. I shall look forward to seeing baby e wearing it :)

      Delete
  15. Beautiful makes. The teddy bear bunting is adorable. Both the dresses are really pretty but the pink is my favourite, it's gorgeous.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I can't take the credit for the first photograph, this is the dress made by Teresa Richardson whose pattern I used to make the pink and white one :)But glad you like them :)

      Delete
  16. Ohh its gorgeous I think babies always look good in crochet x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope it will be cool in this weather too :)

      Delete
  17. Super dress which I'm sure she will very cute in :)
    and I have to say I really love that teddy bear bunting

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all the lovely comments you leave so thank you for taking precious time to do this.