Sunday 10 February 2013

Spin A Yarn

Have you ever used a hook the size of a broom pole?  


 I didn't think so! That was the same for the ladies who came on the Jumbo Crochet Basket Workshop at Spin A Yarn in Bovey Tracey on Friday 8th February.

We began the workshop like 'children in a sweetshop', choosing from all the gorgeous yarns you can find in Spin A Yarn, to make our baskets!  This helped us get to know each other a little and soon the room (and therefore the whole shop!) was filled with cheerful banter and plenty of giggles.


I had made a few samples so the ladies could decide what size baskets they would like to make.
They got off to a flying start.
After lots of counting stitches, a bit of cursing (well perhaps a little more than 'a bit'!),  more counting stitches, a bit of unpicking and more counting ...


.......... the bases of the baskets were complete.  
Time for a bit of relaxation!

We all sat down to a wonderful lunch of Joyce's home cooked quiches and salad followed by homemade cake for desert.  Scrummy :)

After lunch, everyone was eager to get started again!
Feeling rather relaxed now, we all seemed to slip into a jovial, playful mood!  We decided it may be fun to use our partially made baskets as berets!!!
Don't you just love the results?
My apologies to Chrissy as I don't seem to have a photo of your 'beret'! Sorry :(

Following our jovial interlude, the crochet hooks were operating swiftly again and with a little blood (2 blisters acutally!), sweat (we had to turn the heater off, we were working so hard!) and tears (well not strictly true, we didn't have any of these, but it wouldn't sound right without this on the end!) we finally finished our baskets!  

Take a look! What do you think!


I know for sure, from the positive feedback I received from the ladies, how pleased they all were with the baskets they produced.  The colours and textures chosen were stunning, and, I also know for a fact, that at least two of them have started on basket number 2!
I think you will all agree, the ladies produced a wonderful selection of unique colourful baskets.  Well done to all of them! 
And a big thank you to all of them too, for making my day so special :)

I'm off over to Handmade Monday now!  
Why don't you join me and see what other crafters have been up to?

Thanks for reading :)


32 comments:

  1. I love the baskets and what a wonderful workshop. To be in amongst all of that lovely wool as well, yummy. I really must have a go one day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used a crochet hook that big but would love to make baskets like those. Wonderful colours too. Wish I could join a class as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what lovely photos of the ladies and their fabulous baskets. They all like they are having such fun, and the end results are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't those baskets just gorgeous! Looks like you had a fantastically successful workshop - well done! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun day! Wish I lived nearer you, and the finished baskets look great. Thanks for sharing, and popping by my blog. Have a great week, Chris x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! And you all look like you had so much fun too! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous project! You all looked like you enjoyed yourselves and the results are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look and sound as if you had so much fun. It is definitely something to put on my to-do list. The bowls are all so different even though they have been worked in a similar way. Hope you have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are amazing. I bet you all had a really good time - certainly looks like it form the pics. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The class looked like great fun! The bowls were worth the effort, colourful and very useful. Alison made me one in a swap we had, and I love mine !
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. I'm glad you are still enjoying yours :)

      Delete
  11. What a great workshop. I always love seeing how different everyone's own creation turns out.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't done either but it looks fantastic fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It all looks amazing fun. If I lived nearer I would be asking you to teach me to crochet (big or small, wouldn't mind!) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never seen a crocheting hook so big !!!! Your fingers must have been aching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wooden hooks (the largest ones) are very tactile and as they are so big you need to hold them in a different way. So once you have mastered this "it's simples!" Lol :)

      Delete
  15. I love these!What a fabulous idea and so many uses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One lady was making the basket for her cat and another as a bread basket for her new kitchen! I wonder what uses the others will be for :)

      Delete
  16. What a fab day! I love the beret shots - especially the second one in, could have been an actual hat :-) Looks like the ladies had a great day and their baskets are all fantastic! Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well, you see, these baskets have multiple uses lol!

      Delete
  17. That looks such a fun class. Well done to everyone for finishing their brilliant baskets.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have trouble crocheting with one yarn and a small hook! Can't imagine working with that large hook. :) Everything turned out really well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like looking at the crochet under a magnifying glass! Huge hook, makes huge stitches! Far easier to see!! Lol!

      Delete
  19. These are amazing! Looks like you've had a great day together! Have a good week-end, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, what great workshops and the size of those crochet makes! didnt you feel like a little gnome in a giants' world? :)
    lovely photos with some nice smiley ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was going to leave a comment the other day when I first saw this post, but then inspiration grabbed me and I thought I would wait and show you how your project inspired mine! Come visit and let me show you what I did with your chunky baskets idea! http://susanbeingsnippy.blogspot.ca/2013/02/big-chunky.html
    Thank you so much for being so inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely comment. Please pop over and have a look at Susan's basket, she has done a wonderful job. Wish I could get hold of thick yarn like this! So glad I inspired you :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous baskets--what fun! Thanks for sharing the link and sending me in your direction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi,,, lovely baskets...
    How much yarn does it take??? looks like a lot...
    Also I saw the cat....he came out great!
    A question I had was on your bird decoration you modified the flowers... and it probably isn't a big deal....but I'm still knew to crocheting...and just wanted to know if you had a pattern for it... as that I liked your flowers better with the hanging bird decoration...

    thanks.
    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry, I didn't see your comment come in. It's very difficult to be precise about how much yarn you need but I would say anything from about 50m up should give a reasonable size basket, times however many strands you decide to use of course :)

      The flowers were made using a pattern for a Forget-me-knot on page 71 of the book '100 Flowers to Knit and Crochet by Leslie Stansfield'.

      Hope this helps and I'm not too late with the information :)

      Delete

I really appreciate all the lovely comments you leave so thank you for taking precious time to do this.